Drawing on a shower curtain with permanent markers.
Gunnar, Luke, Eli, Kyler, Cole, Brody, Lily, Britt, Madi, and Aiden
Home Improvement
So we have been trying very hard to fix up our basement. For a while I have wanted to paint our main floor bathroom because no matter how hard I scrubbed those walls they were filthy from previous owners. So I told Travis about it on a whim a week ago and then one day I snapped and just started it. I am proud to say that all the painting I did myself- don't look close at it. And I also wanted to do something with this beauty:
Alright you can stop reading now if you would like. But I thought I'd take a minute to write a few lessons that I have learned so that I don't forget them . . . again. So the other day I went to pick up Kyler from a friends house. I love that he has so many great friends! Anyways I picked him up and as we started driving home Kyler said "Mom, when are we going to move? Because I hate our house." I was so surprised! I didn't think my children would start hating our house and stuff until they were at least in fifth grade or something. Anyways I said "Why do you hate our house?" "Well it's too small and I don't like my toys and we don't have a garage or a dog." I knew exactly how he felt. Everything . . . except the dog, were feelings that I have had for such a long time. It was hard to leave an actual home that we had in St. George and move into a townhouse. It's hard to know that we could finally have a nice house if we didn't still have that house in St. George. And yes I admit that when I go to friends homes I leave a little envious and down hearted even. But it's different to think them in your mind then having your child say it to you. And so I pulled over the van and with a lot more emotion then I expected said with tears running down my face, "Kyler I know how you feel. But do you know what? I love our home. Do you know why? Because you live there, and Papa, and Eldon, and Isaac. Everyone I love is in that home. And it keeps us dry and safe. And the things we have are not so new but they are things that we did work hard to have and we have so many memories with them. So Kyler I do understand but I love our home because it is filled with things I love."
So though my house isn't idle and I am far, far, far from perfect, my recent lesson I have come to learn and appreciate is that life is what you make it. And it all has to come from our perspective. I am not a brilliant crafter. I don't have style in any sense of wardrobe and home decor. I don't have a huge house, car, or TV. I am not a charming conversationlist with a gazillion friends. But I have a family who loves me. I have three healthy boys and a little gal on her way. I have a husband that adores me and who makes all the time in the world to be around me as much as possible. I do have friends who teach me new things all the time. And I have the gospel. So truly what more does a girl need?
8 comments:
I can't believe he is 5! I remember being 7 months pregnant and hearing your labor story and seeing that cute baby boy right after you had him! How can our kids be so old already?
Love'd your rambilings, very true! We just need to appreciate what we have and the people who love us!
Hey I like your house!!! and i think that you are crafty. Just want you to know that I look up to you in a lot of ways!!!
Oh, you are more amazing than you give yourself credit for! I needed that post. Thanks for sharing. I'm really struggling with where we are. Not our house, just the state of AZ! :) Anyways, happy birthday to your kiddo!
Wow! 5 years old! What a big boy. and Jen I feel the same way about my house. I have been so ready to get out of this old house and into a new. I love your post. Thanks for sharing and making me re think the good things in life!
LOVE IT!!!! You're amazing!!!
Does Kyler want a dog?? Why didnt you tell me?! I would have been ALL over that for his birthday :) LOVE the mirror, luv luv luv it! you are wonderful, you crack me up, your a super favorite kinderkamp teacher and a super fave friend.
I can't believe Kyler is 5! Crazy! And I love you! You're so great and always a good example to me!
i know exactly what you need. a couple of saber tooth tigers. and a chocolate chip cookie. and a pummelo. and a sharp xacto knife. and another craft party, miss look at me i made two ties.
Post a Comment