Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Mother of Four Self Discovery

So . . . this is a written post. There will be no pictures just me "spilling my guts" so to speak. I need to clear the air . . .though the people who need this explanation will probably never read it. Yet it makes me feel better to get it off my chest in any form. Like any of these posts, you are not required to read this. It will just give you more insight to me, and frankly it wont be very interesting!!!

There are two different occasions that I need to write about. The first has to do completely with me as an individual. I love friends! I thrive on friendships. But I've always had a hard time making friends. So when people come into my life and become my friend I cherish their friendship and try to hold on to it. When Travis and I were married we had a couple who lived upstairs that were our very good friends, the Robisons. We love them! And miss them! So when we moved to St. George it was hard. Then we became really good friends with the Markels and the Graffs. Chitra in particular became a very dear friend and we did a lot together. So when we had to move again I was devastated at the thought of having to start all over. Evanston is a wonderful place but it was so hard for me to find someone I could connect to and become friends with. That is when we met the Williams. They quickly became our closest friends here. You know where both wives like each other and both husbands get a long, those friendship are hard to find! But we went camping with them, spent Sunday afternoons together, went shopping in Utah, and they became more then just our friends, the have been our family here. Kent became Bishop a year and a half ago. Recently I made an innocent joke to a sister in our ward that offended her and in fact made her believe that the Bishop was giving our family "inside information" about the ward and what might be going on. After I apologized I came to find out that perhaps she isn't the only one who feels this way. As I've thought about it and cried about it, I've realized that as a Bishop we can't put him in that situation. I cried a lot about the fact that the only great friends we have here are once again being taken from us. And since then I've realized that some of the comments I make, though innocent, do come across as if we have an "in" with the Bishopric. So though probably no one in our ward will read this, the truth is the Bishop doesn't tell us anything. In fact we don't even ask. And now once again I feel as if I am starting over but this time I don't have the heart to even start. The fact of the matter is that I am a mother of four children and don't have the energy to try to find someone to like me.

Occasion number 2 is what happened just recently. If you get on Facebook you might have read some illusive statuses. Well here is the story. I haven't had that hard of time with four so far. Granted the first two and a half weeks my mother in law was here, so really I've not had a lot of time by myself at it. But Monday that all changed, it was the hardest day ever. Maggie went to the Dr. with two ear infections (we've never had to deal with this before and it's not easy!!), Kyler was caught lying to me about throwing things out the van window, Kyler was also caught stealing a toy from his Grandma's house, Eldon was tired and grumpy (which if you know Eldon that results in a lot of yelling, hitting, and fits), Isaac was getting the brunt of Eldon's anger so he was sad a lot, and I was trying to get a million things done. I was tired by the end of the day and emotionally spent. Travis suggested that I come and visit him at work while he finished up the last things of the day. So it would just be us in the store. We do this every now and then. Our children know what to touch and what not to. They've grown up in this store so to speak. So we don't necessarily worry about them here. Well come to find out Kyler and Eldon had found some of the other employee snacks and were eating them. As we were taking care of that situation a man came up to Travis' office window. Didn't know who it was but Travis went out to talk to him. Come to find out Isaac was across the street. A lady had picked him up when she saw him about to run out in the middle of road and then took him to the closest business. Travis went and got Isaac and the police officer informed him that we were now on record with Family Services. I'm so glad that he was safe and that nothing happened, but something could have. He could have been taken or hit by a car. We still have no idea how he got out! He was missing and we didn't even know it!!!! What if that guy hadn't found us? He would have gone to family services. I should have checked up on them, but i was selfish it just felt so nice to sit for a minute or twenty. What kind of mother does that? Me. A mother of four, who has no idea what she is doing!

I know that I've said this before but I always thought I'd know it all as an adult. But still I am learning those painful lessons that give experience and knowledge. I think that most of the problems I have stem from that illusive Self Esteem. Almost at thirty and I still haven't figured out how to feel about myself. And I hate to admit it but I care a lot about what people think of me and my family. Anyways if you read all the way through this you deserve a gold star or a blue ribbon. But also my gratitude. Thank you for taking the time to care, that means a lot.

23 comments:

Andrea said...

First of all I like ya! Not that you would know because I'm lousy at taking the energy to let you know. Second I can promise you every mother has had a moment like that. For me it was a mailman asking if it was my kid that was walking in boots and a diaper down the road in 20 degree weather. The world we live in today has very little tolerance for mothers with more than one child. So don't beat yourself up. Your a mother long enough it happens. Just off the top of my head I can think of 10 stories were friends of mine have had police involved or just the stress of losing their child.

jed-laura said...

first off- thanks for the gold star-
and second off- you're a good mom, and a good friend.

and third off- we miss you guys.

Alli said...

JENNI! First off, I love you! You are such a GREAT mom!! Don't ever think less then! It's is hard to keep track of the kids.. and when you need a break.. you need a break!! I think Every mother has had something like this happen now and again! We are only human... And SHAME on the police officer.. It wasn't like he was missing that long I am sure!! So in that note, Don't beat youreself up! It happens to all of us at times.. and we all want to run and hide from the world now and again! Keep your head up and KNOW that you are a WONDERFUL mother!! AND.. you are VERY loved!!!!

Kjersti said...

Oh Miss Jenni,
First of all, I love your face and miss it so much!
Second- regardless of your situation in life most everyone always feels inadequate and like they should have it figured out by now. And although my life situation is very different I can relate to some of the things you've written.
Third- I've also learned that we spend way too much time fretting over how people perceive us. And we often think it is mostly negative because of one incident or a misspoken word. In a way, we see the world revolving around us and our insecurities, awkwardness and misgivings. But, I have learned the world doesn't revolve around me and all that time I spent worrying...alone when the other person had moved on. Just some food for thought.
Fourth- You are one of my favorite people IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!! And, no I am not just saying that, you truly are! I cherish the time we were roomies in college and how you helped me to grow. I love you like a sister and I miss you all the time. Seriously whenever I think of you, I can't help but smile... you are amazing.
So, my dear Jenni, it's ok to vent, it's ok to feel alone and it's ok to feel like giving up. But deep down, remember who loves you... Jesus and ME!!

Deanna said...

Oh, Jenni!!! I'm so sorry you don't feel good about yourself, because as you can see by the previous comments, we all think you're pretty AMAZING!!!!!

While the police officer probably had to 'say what he did' that's not helping you. I agree, that this world doesn't have a clue sometimes about what a mother of more than one goes through each day. {hugs} to you.

I think you're wonderful and wish we lived closer. We're in a similar situation in our ward. I'm very good friends with our bishop's wife...and while I don't ask, she doesn't say because we both know not to ask and all that jazz, I feel like my 'potential' friends in the ward think we're 'in the know', and we're not. That's a tough spot to be in!!! I feel for ya!!!

Megan said...

Oh, Jenni! I don't have any wisdom or knowledge to impart but I feel for you! I don't think you should beat yourself up - I find myself feeling the same way you describe and even though we are in different situations, I only have one kid and you have four beautiful kids! By my calculations, that means you're at least 4 times the woman I am. ;) Things happen. Don't stress. You're a wonderful mother!

Tyler and Sheena said...

If you ever move to Vegas I will be here so there is a quick friend for you.

I know that situations like what just happened to you are hard to take but just remember that it happens to everyone. You are such a great mom. Heavenly Father knows that you are doing your best and that is all that matters. He will help you do the rest. YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Familia Morales said...

Lots of people love you Jenni! See? Sorry things have been rough for you. You can add me to your list of mom's that have lost a child before. Annaleise came home in a police car, wearing only a diaper. She was my only kid then, though I was pregnant with my 2nd. Family services came to my house, questioned me...and I was left in tears. Being a mom is a hard job, especially with lots of little ones. And we all need that 20 minute break to regroup and keep our sanity.

chrisf said...

From one of your home ward friends, I think the world of you and feel so badly for you and what happened. I am in awe at all you can do in a day and what a beautiful little family you have. I think you are a special daughter of our Heavenly Father who is also an outstanding mother. Chin up and know you are loved, even from old YW leaders.

maynardmoments said...

Gotta love the refiners fire. I hope you know that a lot of people out here, including yours truly, care about you and think you are an amazing friend and mother. Four kids can't be very easy. You are doing great Jenny. Give yourself some credit. Sounds like you need a break. Come on over to the Maynards and lets play. I dare you!

Manda Jane Clawson said...

Ah Jenni HUGS!!!! You are fantastic and don't let yourself think otherwise! If we lived closer to you guys Scott and I would be bothering you all the time. We love to hear about your adventures with your cute kids and all the fun stuff you do! I look up to you as a mommy more than you know! I'm so sorry about what happened with Issac. Kids are sneaky and that is not any fault of yours. You have 3 other littles you were dealing with, it's totally understandable! Don't worry about what other people in the ward think. The Lord loves you and knows you and your family. He knows what an amazing woman, mommy, and wife you are!!

Anonymous said...

Don't beat yourself up, Jenni! I've only got 1 (and a 2 month old, at that) and I have days where I feel like a horrible mom (and he can't even get away yet!). I don't know how people do this with 4! :) Great job!

alliehoopes said...

"Like any of these posts, you are not required to read this." I was not aware. Though I will probably keep reading them if that's ok because you are funny.

Pretty sure that if you stop being friends with them, silly people are still going to think the same things anyway so you should not stop being friends with them just because of that!

I'm sorry for the bad day. Tell Travis it's his turn and let's plan a craft party. That's what I'm good at so that's what I can offer.

Do you have aqua stars? I don't like gold.

Andrea :) said...

Jenni, you are one of the most amazing people I know. You are so real and tell it like it is! I love that! I hate fake people. Thank you for teaching me how to be such a great mom--just like you!

holmes90 said...

Chin up Jenni, We love you so much. your boys are the best and I'm sure that they all love you so much. I've never had kids, but working in the Nursery when there are two adults and 20 kids, I understand how you would need a breather even just for a minute. You can always Turn to us if there is ever anything we can do to help.
Jenni, you've got one of the strongest spirits I have ever felt. You brighten the room when you walk in. Even if you didn't know it, you have brightened my day on several occasions. you are a wonderful, strong woman.

Steph and Adam Robison said...

Let me just start by saying We LOVE you and MISS you guys like crazy as well. We still to this day talk about you guys and how you were "our couple". Now on to the next item of business...I can't even imagine how hard it would be to have four kids 5 and under. Crazy hard!! I feel like I am losing my mind half the time with 2. Although I have not seen you in action with 4 kids I can just imagine how amazing at it you are. Everyone makes mistakes, and everyone has those moments where we wish we could change the last 5 minutes. Don't beat yourself up over it and just know that I think you are AWESOME!!!

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

Ah, I'm so sorry. What a rotten day! You know what though? Even when I read your blog and you say you've messed something up, all I can think of is, 'She is such a good, caring mom.' I've often wondered how you seem to do so well, when I can barely handle 2 kiddos!
Anyways, I love you! I know we never had the chance to get super close, but honestly, that's probably because we were both too shy! I have those same issues. I feel so alone here. I've lived here for 2 years, and I still don't really have a good friend. I'm sorry. I hope things get better for you. Prayers!

Alicia Bunderson said...

Jen, you are gorgeous and your boys and girl are just adorable. I love you, and I really wish we could live close to each other. Mainly so I could learn how to be a good mother like you. My mom and I always talk about how we enjoy reading your blog and love all the things you do with your kids! and we always say that you are a super mom! You are fantastic. you always have been, and always will be. I have always been envy-is of all the talents you have.
I know we don't ever talk except via blog or facebook, but really you can call me anytime you need to talk. I know how it feels when you feel like you don't have any friends to turn to. I'm here for you, just a phone call away and a few hours away by car :)
I agree with everything that has been said! you are amazing, don't you think otherwise! Love you girl!

My life in a blog said...

Oh, I can relate to how hard friendships would be. I laughed when I read the part about friendships where you like the wife and your husband gets along with the husband...I have yet to find a friendship like THAT! lol
Maybe this doesn't help, but your second situation could have happened to anyone! You are a great mom! I love reading about all the things you do and it is obvious how much you adore your kids! :) HUGS!

Em said...

Oh Jenni! I can only imagine how you must have felt after the whole ordeal! But sweetie, you are a fabulous mother! I struggle with just my two and you manage with 4! You are a rockstar mommy! I look up to you so much and all that you do! And you deserve a moment to sit! The crazy thing about motherhood is there is one perfect way to parent. It's trial and error so much of the time. And each kid is so different! All you can do is your best and understand that only one person is perfect and He is with you always.

And the whole thing with your ward, well, you can still have those friends, and what it really comes down to is, are you doing anything wrong? Really? I mean, he's not telling you guys bishop stuff and you're not asking, and everyone else just have to remember that they sustained a good man to be their bishop and now they need to remember what that means. I don't think you have done anything wrong. And I can relate on the friend thing, I struggle too.

ANyway, just know you are SO VERY LOVED and you are doing an AMAZING job with those sweet kids!

Snedakers said...

Just wanted to let you know that I think you are great! Often times I read your blog and think, I wish I could be a better mom like you! Second, if you haven't, you should read my blog post about losing Jake in Walgreens, it would probably make you feel a bit better- I only have two to keep track of! You are a great person and a great mom. Chin up!

Erin Darrington said...

Please note my "March Madness" post... oh man it's like I am reading my own life here (minus two kiddos).

I lost Jane twice in one day a few weeks ago, and today she almost fell into a pond, and Owen rolled (and nearly lost) himself under the couch today. Earlier this week I had to call poison control because I (underline, bold, italics) nearly poisoned my child. I bawled and bawled afterwards. Yeah mom of the year award right here.

Ooooooh sister I feel for you and I only have half the load. I also understand your loneliness... I'm right there with you. Hang in there hot mama. Any time self-esteem wise you may feel bad about your looks, try to think that your frumpiness/destroyed (let's be honest) body due to child bearing, nursing, lack of sleep, etc. + your kiddos cuteness = way more cuteness than you originally started with. That's what I try to tell myself anyways... take that stretch marks and saggy boobs, boo-ya.
PS we need to chat and catch up one of these nights. call or shoot me a text so i have your number! 208.409.1383

Erin Darrington said...

PPS: Don't you love how down in the dumps posts always solicit so many more comments? that alone tends to help me feel better :)