I told you that I wouldn't write like long mushy posts about how I love my kids and my own crazy emotional rollercoaster of motherhood? Well I remember that too . . .but please forget that for the moment . . . or just don't read this. First of all I love my kids and my husband . . .now that is out of the way onto what I really wanted to post about.
So last night I went to Zumba . . .I do that twice a week in an effort to lose my fantastic baby weight . . .I know I should do it more often but that's not the point. Anyways last night I stayed after and chatted with a friend there who I will not name. I will just call her Rikki Nobinette. So our conversation started friendly enough talking about our hatred of laundry and how our kiddos are in school now and what that is like. Our conversation lasted about a half an hour but I can't stop thinking about it or what she taught me. In fact I couldn't sleep about it and I wrote about it in my journal . . .I know it took me a while to find it since I've not written in it for almost a year. But even that didn't seem to be enough because here I am today still thinking about it and now posting about it when I should be battling the pile of presents that I had hoped to wrap during this precious 3-kid-nap-time.
She probably doesn't even realize how our conversation affected me or how it has started to get me thinking about my life and my role as a mother. Her comments were all appropriate to normal conversation about kids and life and she probably didn't even think twice of what she was saying, but there was an underlying theme that struck me. I was so impressed with how the gospel is taught in her home on a regular basis, her relationship with her children and how she regards it, and her selfless attitude as a mother. It made me evaluate my conversations, my relationships, and my selfishness. It also made me really want to be her apprentice for a while. In fact I can think of quite a few people that I would like to apprentice in their homes to learn how to be a better wife and mother.
I guess what meant the most to me about this experience is the uplifting it brought. Rikki and I don't get together that often now that our boys are in different Elementary schools. But the thing about Rikki is I always feel uplifted, a desire to be better and I think that is what makes her amazing. I love having people come into my life that give me inspiration to be better. Where you can walk away from each interaction with a greater determination to be a better daughter of God. And I hope I in turn do that for her or for anyone that I come into contact with.
Do you know many of those people? And can I schedule a time to be your apprentice?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
thanks for sharing this. I think we all need a little time with the rikki's out there now and then to remember how lucky we are to have so many little someone's to love..it's all perspective isn't it? thanks again! =)
Post a Comment