Friday, June 12, 2009

A Change of Heart

I hesitated writing this but since so many of you have expressed concern and have shown such an outpouring of love, I would like to share with you some of my feelings of the current situation we find ourselves in. There is no pictures in this post and so if you don't want to read it I will not be offended. I just want to share, get it off my chest so to speak. This experience thus far has taken me on a journey that I never expected. I have had to deal with emotions I never even thought that I would have to deal with. I have come to better understand myself, my faults, my weaknesses, and my shortcomings in a way that I probably never wanted to view them. Please let me take you on the journey of the last few weeks without going into too much detail, I would hate to have you know all those faults.
When I first found out about the store closing I was fine. I saw this as an opportunity for our family to be strengthened and for us to come out conquerors. I had no fear. For some reason I knew that all would be well and we would be fine. Then last week Satan came into play. He knew me and how to break me down. I found myself slipping from faith to fear in a matter of moments. I came to realize the seriousness of the situation and all temporal blessings all of a sudden, seemed so necessary, so important. I found myself thinking how unfair it was that those people I see drinking and smoking and living lives contrary to the right being blessed with those things we would probably never hope to see in our lives! Cars, money, fancy clothes, expensive outings, nice homes, and so forth.
Then I faced another emotion that I had never dealt with so strongly in my life . . . anger. I found myself so angry because of what men did in the name of "business". Integrity and honesty pushed aside to help themselves reach a higher plateau. It was disheartening and sickening and I struggled with an anger so strong that I could feel my heart harden.
As I've discussed my feelings with my husband and some of my best friends I have had a change of heart. I've realized some very important lessons. For instance the blessings that are temporal are nothing compared with the blessings that I have. My husband, my children, my health, their health, our testimonies, our Savior, our lives, our all. Those other things would be nice, but they are not necessary. As far as the anger I have felt it is starting to decrease. Instead I feel a sorrow for what others feel like is necessary to bring them more wealth at the expense of others and their reputations.
I read a quote from President Hinckley that has greatly helped me "Cynics do not contribute, skeptics do not create, doubters do not achieve." This has become my motto of late. It gives me something to grasp onto as I pray for the strength to let go of the fear and return to the faith, let go of the anger and find in my heart the ability to love those that have and continue to hurt my family.
This experience has taught me a lot. While I have been hurt by the selfishness of some I have come to realize the unselfishness of others. I cannot count the prayers that have been said for our family, the kindness that has been shown, the resumes that have been passed out, the dinners we have been invited to, the suggestions that have been made. All done in the name of love and friendship. We have realized how many people here we love and who love us. We have felt their arms of companionship around us physically and spiritually repeatedly in the last few weeks.
Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I don't know if any one will read it but still it feels good to let it go in written form. In a way it is even more healing. We appreciate all the words of kindness and prayers that are being given in our behalf. Your friendship has meant a lot to us be it through family, BYU-Idaho, St. George, High School, Utah or Washington. Thank you!

18 comments:

Jodi said...

My dear, sweet, solid as a rock, Jenny. I am so sorry for this trial that has come upon you are your family. Thank for your sharing the feelings of your heart. It is strengthening and inspiring. It is surely an unfair trial, but seems to be an unexpected blessing for you and the stretching of your soul. I love you!

Alli said...

Jenni,
I am so sorry for the trial that you are having right now with your family. For sure, sometimes it does seem so unfair. For I have been in this situation a few times ourselves.. it is emotional, and hard to bare! With faith and love from family and friends you will get the blessings that you are in need off. He has not forgotten you! We love you guys and wish you the best of luck with EVERYTHING! if there is anything we can do. please don't hesitate! Stay strong Jenny! you are a wonderful wife and mother!

Erin Darrington said...

The Hogmans are fighters! Have you hear the story about the 2 mice each dropped into a bucket of cream? The first mouse gave up swimming because he thought it was hopeless. The second mouse kept swimming and swimming, and the more he swam the more he churned the cream, it was hard but he didn't quit. And in the end he was able to climb out because he'd churned the cream into butter! So the moral of this story is eat yummy foods with lots of butter like brownies, ice cream... oh wait sorry that's not the moral. The true moral is don't give up, keep fighting and you'll get yourself out of the bucket and have a little reward to go with it! Love you guys and I know you will make it thought this, again the Hogmans are fighters!
ps i LOVE that quote from President Hinckley, I miss him!

The Gunder's from Down Under said...

Just want you to know that I LOVE YOU and MISS YOU SOOOOO much!!! And my promise still holds true... if we are ever in the same town again and for some reason i have to ride in an ambulance, YOU get to come with me! =) hehe Love ya!!!

Unknown said...

We are so sorry to hear of this trial in your life. During the good times we often come to feel that we would be strong enough to face anything and then the unexpected trial comes. We wonder, are we strong enough? If we are faithful and true to the Lord we find that we are. Life will again be peaceful, secure and happy - that's the way of it. Good times and scary times. What do you do? You trust and love the Lord. Then you are made strong enough to endure!!! Love you guys!! Hey, my thought is for you to return to St George where we can have Friday lunch dates again!!! Love, Aunt Pat

My life in a blog said...

Just know you aren't alone in this trial! Love you, and thanks for your testimony!

Cammi said...

Jenni, you are seriously the best woman I know! Your spirit is so strong and your testimony so grounded. You will come out on top, the Lord will help!

Keep the strength and know that your family is there to support you. If you need anything, please let us know! We'd love to help in anyway that we can.

We love you guys!!

Cammi

Cindy Spratling said...

Man,I hate when I don't blog for a while and then when I finally start reading, I find out people I love have been having a hard time. You guys are tough and full of faith. It WILL work out for your good. My fave scripture says so. I can't remember the chapter, but here's what it teaches us. ..."consider of the blessed and happy state of those who keep the commandments of God. For they are blessed BOTH TEMPORALLY AND SPIRITUALLY... anyway- I'll find the chapter and verse for ya. But basically... keep the faith and just be obedient. But in the mean time, keep facing those emotions. They are real and legitimate. And yes, we will be coming up that way this next week. Email me your cell #. cjsprat@gmail.com

Cindy Spratling said...

Mosiah 2:41

Angela said...

I am so sorry! What a big trial you are going through, but you are headed in the right direction. I know exactly how you are feeling as Dave was also laid off from Stock. In the end you will look back and see the blessings...for now good luck and lean on your Heavenly Father, family, and friends. I will keep you in my prayers.

Ashley Wray said...

Trials are never ever fun, but it's always interesting to look back when it's over. Hang in there, you have amazing faith and are truley an example to me! We are praying for you guys, keep us posted! Oh, and love that quote by Pres. Hinckley!

Kjersti said...

I love you. Thank you for sharing your feelings, I needed to be reminded.

Travis said...

Really? Your husband lost his job... What kind of an idiot is he? Was he incompetent? I know your hubby personally and think he is the coolest looking guy I know so maybe you could tell him to be a model or something. He would do well at that. Or if he went into acting he could play the part of Charlie Brown because he is a pretty dull and unlucky character.

Jewls said...

That quote is going to hang on my fridge, I love it! I am so glad you shared these emotions! I think that all of the emotions you have felt are normal when trials come. I feel angry a lot and I have to constantly remind myself of all of my blessings! You are so wonderful and I love you! Remember..Heavenly Father gives us specific trials to help us learn and grow. For some reason He feels that this trial is going to help you. In the long run you'll look back and be grateful for all you learned and it will turn out to be a blessing! we just have to keep a good perspective even though it's hard and we don't understand!

Andrea said...

Jenny-If you had just asked me (Todd, your biggest fan) I would have told you about all of your faults. No need to get pull Travis and his work into this:) Hang in there.

Tyler and Sheena said...

I have been thinking of you a lot lately and always keep a prayer in my heart for you that things will work out.

Cheyenne and Seth and Co. said...

i love you.

jed-laura said...

Jenni, I just love you; I just had to tell you. We need more of you around.