Thursday, August 20, 2009

To Mothers Everywhere

Alright so child birth is really on my mind lately. Now I've done this two times, but that doesn't mean that I have things down. So I have some questions for you ladies to hear what you have to say.

What are some of the best things that you pack in your Hospital Bag?
What is the best thing to pack for the hubby?
How soon after labor do you change out of the lovely Hospital gown and into your own clothes?
How long do you stay at the Hospital after birth?
How soon do you call family to tell them of your special arrival?
Do you eat before you go to the hospital and if so what?
Do you wear make-up and do your hair to go to the hospital?
Anything that your hospital has done that has made your stay more enjoyable or anything that might not be "hospital standard" that you think that I should know about and implement this time around?
Do you leave your socks on to give birth?

Thanks in advance for all your advice! I just wondered what others did and what I can do better this time around! Thanks!!!

13 comments:

Megan said...

I'll let you know... ;)

I'm actually interested to see what people say. These are things I haven't even considered!

Steph and Adam Robison said...

Well you are way more experienced than I am, but I would say to stay at the hospital as long as you can. The sooner you go home, the sooner reality sets in. Take advantage of everything the hospital and the nurses have to offer. Except for if the nurses are awful, then that changes everything. Good Luck!!

Angela said...

I always let Dave pack his part of the bag...and mine for that matter. As for when to change...for both of mine I wore their gowns until I got ready to leave...1-because they have those nifty little slots in the chest and I love the chance to flash everyone 2-I don't own a night gown. I do wear socks during birth...are you kidding...my feet are always cold...if they get the least bit dirty toss them. I also say stay in the hospital as long as you can afford to and want to. With Nora I felt so awesome that I wanted to leave ASAP...but with my first I was hoping they would let me stay another day...but that is a story to share AFTER you have this baby. If you have the insurance and a good bed let the hospital feed you, do the dishes, laundry, and watch that sweet new baby of yours as much as possible. We call parents &siblings & ASAP and and everyone else when we feel like it.I am so excited for you. I hope this month flies by and the baby slides out!

Alli said...

What are some of the best things that you pack in your Hospital Bag?

There really isn't anything that is the "best" stuff to pack. I have had 4 kids and still really have know idea..

What is the best thing to pack for the hubby?
Food for him is always good!

How soon after labor do you change out of the lovely Hospital gown and into your own clothes?
I never change until it is time to go home!
How long do you stay at the Hospital after birth?
As long as I can with insurnace!! who wants to go home and be a mom to more kids??

How soon do you call family to tell them of your special arrival?
I call my mom as soon as they are done doing there things with me. I usually wait to tell other people when I am in my room!

Do you eat before you go to the hospital and if so what?
I never can eat when I am in labor. SO NO! I would throw up!

Do you wear make-up and do your hair to go to the hospital?
Heck no!

Anything that your hospital has done that has made your stay more enjoyable or anything that might not be "hospital standard" that you think that I should know about and implement this time around?
It's the hospital.. not that great!

Do you leave your socks on to give birth?
NO i take everything off.. I don't want anything to get yucky!!

Hope that helps.. like I said, I have had 4 kids and still really don't know the answer to these.. ha ha.. Love ya girl.. you will be fine! :)

Rob and Tami Stewart said...

Well, I left my socks on, but ended up having to throw them away. But, I guess that way I didn't have to worry about having yucky feet! ;) I took music and a cd player, to try keeping relaxed. I did eat before leaving to the hospital. I think all I could get down was a banana...I was too antsy. I didn't wear makeup to the hospital, but I kind of wish I had, because all my photos with Jacob are pretty scary! haha! Good luck!

The Stone's said...

Pack chapstick. I always forget it and always need it. Does Travis like Sudoku? Saved Trev's life! Left my socks on with Paislee... not by choice, just didn't have time to take them off. It was weird. Don't recommend it. Change out of that nightgown when you feel like taking a shower. Love to be clean and in my own clothes. Orange,Apple,and Cranberry juice mixed with Sprite. Little piece of heaven!

The Maughan-sters said...

well, you are more experienced than I, but just pack your bag early...I was 2 weeks early and hadn't packed my bag, so Danny had to run home and throw some things in (I'm packing it like 2 months in advance this time :-)) Don't forget a nursing bra...I didn't have one yet and my friend went and bought me one :-) hahaha Umm...I only stayed one day but that's because I felt like I'd get more sleep at home. But make sure they're not charging you for little random things that hospitals like to charge you for. I don't remember if I wore socks, I didn't eat at home but got a snowcone at the hospital, no makeup, I liked the hospital gowns too b'c of the nursing slots. Our hospital had like a huge jacuzzi/bathtub thing, if yours does ask if you get to use it. Mine was HEAVENLY!!!!! Anyways let me know how it goes this next time around :-) You're almost there~!!!!!!!!!!

Familia Morales said...

Chapstick! My lips always got so dried out...it was the best thing I took. And movies--in case things don't move along so quickly. I took card games to keep me and Pedro entertained--gave us something to do, and definitely pack him food! If I stay in the hospital gown, I like to at least have some sweatpants on underneath. We call moms ASAP after the birth, and then we let them spread the news to everyone else. I have a bagel and juice before going--doc's recommendation. Never done make-up and hair but wish I had at least make-up before pictures--ugh. See if your hospital has a birthing ball--I love that thing--it takes a lot of the pressure away when you sit on it...also good to sit on during that last month or so. Sock? Depends on how cold the room is.

Andrea said...

Wow I have actually done things different with all six. I like my hair done in whatever way is least likely to get messed up. I never do my makeup. I usually pack clothes for me and the baby to go home in. Camera's etc. With the last few I have made sure I have comfortable pajamas that I can enjoy. New is best but it really doesn't matter. I hate the hospital gowns. The longest I have stayed in the hospital is a little over two days the shortest was with Alaina and that was exactly 24 hours. Would have left earlier to my comfortable home but if you leave before 24 hours is up they give baby an extra shot. As far as hubby goes he brings his own stuff, he's a big boy I don't pack for him. That way if he doesn't have something it isn't my fault. I have eaten before I left I just made sure it was light and not heavy food and I didn't eat much of it. I don't wear socks until after baby is born and then I do.

Tyler and Sheena said...

After I had my first I packed my own baby wipes for the next two. The hospital I delivered at only supplied very soft cloth things and you had to get them wet. So I would suggest packing your own thing of wipes.

Alicia Bunderson said...

Jen, I have only had one child, so well you are way more experienced. But i'll put my two cents in. you know, I didn't pack much. The best things would be chapstick for me and clothes for the baby. I am a tv-oholic so I watched tv the whole 15 hours of labor. They let me finish the bachelor before I started to push!, so nice. for the hubby, just the camera I think is the best thing.
I never changed out of my gown, are you kidding? its like not wearing anything Its the best. I did however wear my robe most of the time, oh and a bra.

Well if I had it my way, I would have called my family probably an hour or two afterwards. but my husband took the liberty and called everyone to tell them that I was basically dieing on the table. man, being a private person, I didn't want anyone in that room, well lets just say the room will never be empty again. :(

So I was starving during labor and they wouldn't let me eat, and even after I delivered they wouldn't let me eat in case they had to do a hysterectomy. I would say eat i nice burger and frys, cuz thats so what I wanted. ok that might just make you sick, so maybe don't eat anything.

No I did not wear makeup in the hospital, I didn't put make up on until I took Morgans newborn pics.

I did leave my socks on, my feet were freezing. I love hospital socks!

I am so excited for you. You are like a pro at this. Yay for boy #3. so fun! Good luck Ms. Jenni! It will be great!

Jami Berry said...

Before I had Emma my sister-in-law bought me a big comfy robe to use with the hospital gowns. So I didn't change into my own clothes until the day I left the hospital, but the robe gave me the comfort of wearing my own stuff. (Plus it was nice when we had some unexpected visitors, so I wasn't just hanging out there.) :P

I actually made Brian go get me some DVDs from home after Emma was born, because the hospital had a DVD player in my room, and I actually had to stay a few days because of the emergency C-section. I found it nice to be able to put in a DVD I knew I liked instead of just flipping through day-time TV.

As for how long to stay, I went home as soon as I could, but Emma was my first. I think if I had two others at home I'd probably stay as long as I could and take advantage of the one-on-one time to bond.

Hope this helps.

My life in a blog said...

I kept meaning to answer these questions, but all I know is what I did last time, and what I'd like to change.
I will make sure to take snacks for Stuart & I (I plan on eating if I feel like it). General toiletry items for us both, and going home clothes. Last time I brought regular jeans. I won't do that again, I couldn't even get them past my lower hips! Last time I called my mom in labor. This time, we'll see how fast it goes. Honestly, I don't want 1000 people at the hospital to visit me, just the baby's grandparents and my sister and Alana. I didn't get any rest last time because of the constant stream! But I also want to go home ASAP. I would give birth at home if I could (hopefully will next time).
I'm definitely going to do hair and makeup if I have time. I didn't last time. You can request to have the lights dimmed to help you relax/sleep, you can also request fewer vaginal exams so they aren't bugging you every hour.
I hope you have a wonderful experience!! :)