So with that said I realize the following may be the reasons-
~a stage
~he senses that a change is coming
~his age
~and so on
I realize all of these things so what I am wondering is if any of you have had the same problem and how you dealt with it. Is it best just to let him cry it out? Do I try to take him and then after spending 15-20 minutes with him leave? Or should I just resort to leaving him like this all of the time?
Just any advice or even saying that you have dealt with a child that has done this too, will make me feel better.
11 comments:
I haven't because I only have the one... I just have to comment on how dang CUTE that picture is:)
You can try reading him "The Kissing Hand." I did that with Annaleise when she started school to ease anxiety. Other than that, I have no idea. Good luck to you! And the picture is Adorable! And love the one on the top of the blog too...BOYS!
I have no advice but my son is also at that stage. I can't even walk in the kitchen 3 feet away from him (where he can still see me) without a sobfest. Sigh. I hope you come up with a solution.
Oh, my cuteness! LOL!
I have no advice.
ok, that picture is just awesomeness...Morgan did the same she would scream bloody murder when I tried to drop her off at nursery, or dropped her off to be babysat. Then I took her binki away "it broke". She completely changed. Now she loves Nursery, and she could care less if I was in the room or not.
That's what worked for my little one...sorry I don't have better advice. good luck!
We found that just leaving them works. It may take a few times but they get over it. Of course, what worked for us may not work for you, but I thought I'd share. Hope you can figure something out.
what is going on in that day care?
My 4 year old has he hardest time with going to Primary...but there isn't any screaming like you are dealing with. Is there an item that you could leave him with...like putting him in charge of "the keys" while you are gone.
My kids LOVE it when they get to hold keys...ussually not real ones just old keys from who knows where.
Good luck.
I don't know what to tell you, other than best of luck! It is such a fun stage isn't it? Maybe you could give hime something like a stuffed animal or something when you drop him off to "fill" that void of not having mom.
And another note - congrats on a GIRL?!!!! Yahoo for you!
Jenny,
Unfortunately, the best cure is to be consistent. Here's what I've done... Don't let him see that his crying upsets you. Smile at him. Hug him tight. Tell him you love him and that you'll be right back and go quickly. Consistency is HUGE. If he knows what to expect and sees that you behave the exact same way every time, he'll have no choice but to adjust. He'll probably keep crying for awhile but his crying spells will get shorter and shorter. From what I've seen with younger siblings and with my Ian is that it's a common stage. Good luck! It's hard to see them so upset.
Love you!
sounds a lot like brock! he's been in nursery for a year now and it's still a big cry fest every week. he will even start whining during the closing song b/c he knows nursery. but we have found it helps him if he takes something with him. we let him choose a toy that he gets to take with him out of the church bag. and he actually does REALLY well on the weeks he takes the snacks to nursery. i think he feels special or something. good luck. it's rough. Raegan was like that until she went to sunbeams:(
Don't you just love that stage some struggle with it more than others. The only one that didn't have a problem with it was Kristoffer but then I realized I was his nursery leader so I can't count that I guess :). I would stay with them for 5 min or so and then leave and then come back in 10 -15 min so that they knew I was still there and that I hadn't left them. I did that for a while and the time in between would be stretched longer and longer. Most of them did ok this way. I didn't like to see my boys go hysterical so I was a bit weak when it came to leaving them. I'm sure there are better ways of dealing with it. There were times I made deals with them as well I would let them have a treat if they were able to stay in there without too much of a problem that worked as they got a bit older nothing worked in the beginning. It's a stage that tough, thats for sure. Now my boys are at a stage of counting down the days until they will be leaving me and I am left to do the crying. :(
Post a Comment